by Tom Beer | Apr-24-2015
Dear NBCC members,
The National Book Critics Circle reading and awards ceremony, held March 11-12, were a great success-with good attendance and widespread media coverage. At the March 13 meeting of the new board, I was elected president, and I look forward to serving the National Book Critics Circle over the next two years.
Looking ahead, this year's membership meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, May 27, the first day of BEA. We have a number of activities planned:
8:30 - 10 a.m. Breakfast with the Publishers Publicity Association at Hachette, 1290 Avenue of the Americas. Coffee and bagels, and the opportunity to meet and network with publicists and other NBCC members.
11 a.m. General Membership meeting at the Center for Fiction, 17 E. 47th St., 6th floor.
Items on the agenda include discussion of the bookcritics.org website. Please bring questions, concerns, and suggestions about NBCC membership.
2 p.m. Panel: NBCC board member Walton Muyumba leads a conversation about racial and gender representation in book reviewing. At the Center for Fiction, 17 E. 47th St., 2nd floor.
Among the questions we'll engage are: what do the VIDA numbers explain about the health of American publishing? Does the American reading public actually benefits from gender and racial parity in publishing? And should books review editors and book reviewers worry about sociological concerns like gender and racial diversity?
7:30-9:30 pm Cocktail Party at the Center for Fiction, 17 E. 47th St., 2nd floor.
If you are planning to attend the membership meeting, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and put "NBCC Meeting" in the subject line. You will receive separate invitations via Paperless Post to the breakfast and the cocktail party. I hope you can join us for some or all of the day's events, and I look forward to seeing many of you there.
About the Critical Mass Blog
Commentary on literary criticism, publishing, writing, and all things NBCC related. It's written by independent members of the NBCC Board of Directors (see list of bloggers below).
Categories & Archives
- 30 Books |
- Adventures in E-Reading |
- Awards |
- 2007 Awards |
- 2008 Awards |
- 2011 Finalists: 30 Books in 30 Days |
- 2012 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days |
- Live announcement of NBCC Awards finalists |
- Critical Notes |
- 30 Books in 30 Days 2014 |
- 2014 Awards |
- 2013 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days 2013 |
- 2013 Awards |
- Podcasts |
- 2009 Awards |
- 2010 Awards |
- 2010 Finalists: 31 Books in 30 Days |
- 2011 Awards |
- Articles |
- Craft |
- Celebrating Philip Roth |
- Conversations with Literary Websites |
- Critical Library |
- Critical Outtakes: Discussions With Writers |
- Criticism |
- In Retrospect |
- Industry News |
- Interviews |
- NBCC 35th Anniversary |
- NBCC Campaign to Save Book Reviews |
- NBCC Featured Review |
- NBCC News |
- NBCC Reads |
- Roundups |
- Q&A |
- Remembrances |
- Small Press Spotlight |
- The Critical I: Conversations With Critics and Review Editors |
- The Next Decade in Book Culture |
- The Rest of the Best |
- Thinking About New Orleans: A Series About New Orleans Writers Post Katrina |
- Videos |
- What I'm Looking Forward to Reading