by Carmela Ciuraru | May-04-2015
Your reviews seed this roundup; please send items, including new about your new publications and recent honors, to NBCCCritics@gmail.com. Make sure to send links that do not require a subscription or username and password.
* Please join the NBCC on Wednesday, May 27th, in New York: It's the first day of BEA, and a number of activities are planned, including the annual mmbership meeting, a panel discussion, and a cocktail reception at the Center for Fiction. You can find out the details here.
Steven Kellman reviews "Lifted By the Great Nothing," by Karim Dimechkie, for the San Antonio Current.
Carl Rollyson reviews a new biography of T. S. Eliot for the Star Tribune.
NBCC Board Member Jane Ciabattari picks 10 books to read in May for her Between the Lines book column for BBC.com, now in the UK as well as the US and the rest of the world:Edna O'Brien, Margaret Lazarus Dean, the complete Patrick Melrose novels, first novels from Jabari Asim and Patricia Park.
Also, Ciabattari's short story collection, California Tales (2014), is now on Audible.
Amy Gentry reviews Kate Atkinson's "A God in Ruins" for the Chicago Tribune.
Micah McCrary interviews Maggie Nelson for the Los Angeles Review of Books.
Daniel Dyer on "A Young General and the Fall of Richmond," in The Plain Dealer.
Harvey Freedenberg on William Maxwell's "So Long, See You Tomorrow" in Harrisburg Magazine.
Heller McAlpin on Jane Smiley's "Early Warning" for NPR.org.
Janette Currie reviews "The Old Straight Track" by Alfred Watkins in the TLS.
Hope Reese on "The Folded Clock" by Heidi Julavits, for the Chicago Tribune.
Sebastian Stockman reviews "The Top of His Game" for the Boston Globe.
NBCC Board Member Colette Bancroft on Kate Atkinson's "A God in Ruins" for the Tampa Bay Times.
Mary Mackey interviews Marge Piercy.
Julia M. Klein reviews Richard Dunn's "A Tale of Two Plantations" for the Pennsylvania Gazette.
NBCC Board Member David Biespiel's latest essay in The Rumpus.
Katherine Powers of the NBCC Board reviews "The Making of Zombie Wars" for the Chicago Tribune.
Megan Labrise interviews Elizabeth Alexander for Kirkus.
NBCC Board Member Carmela Ciuraru's latest "Newly Released" column for the New York Times.
Ellen Akins reviews "Early Warning" by Jane Smiley for the Star Tribune.
About the Critical Mass Blog
Commentary on literary criticism, publishing, writing, and all things NBCC related. It's written by independent members of the NBCC Board of Directors (see list of bloggers below).
Categories & Archives
- 30 Books |
- Adventures in E-Reading |
- Awards |
- 2007 Awards |
- 2008 Awards |
- 2011 Finalists: 30 Books in 30 Days |
- 2012 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days |
- Live announcement of NBCC Awards finalists |
- Critical Notes |
- 30 Books in 30 Days 2014 |
- 2014 Awards |
- 2013 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days 2013 |
- 2013 Awards |
- Podcasts |
- 2009 Awards |
- 2010 Awards |
- 2010 Finalists: 31 Books in 30 Days |
- 2011 Awards |
- Articles |
- Craft |
- Celebrating Philip Roth |
- Conversations with Literary Websites |
- Critical Library |
- Critical Outtakes: Discussions With Writers |
- Criticism |
- In Retrospect |
- Industry News |
- Interviews |
- NBCC 35th Anniversary |
- NBCC Campaign to Save Book Reviews |
- NBCC Featured Review |
- NBCC News |
- NBCC Reads |
- Roundups |
- Q&A |
- Remembrances |
- Small Press Spotlight |
- The Critical I: Conversations With Critics and Review Editors |
- The Next Decade in Book Culture |
- The Rest of the Best |
- Thinking About New Orleans: A Series About New Orleans Writers Post Katrina |
- Videos |
- What I'm Looking Forward to Reading