Critical Notes: Nell Zink, David McCullough, Oliver Sacks, Heidi Julavits, Steven Millhauser, & more
by Eric Liebetrau | May-25-2015
Your reviews seed this roundup; please send items, including new about your new publications and recent honors, to NBCCCritics@gmail.com. Make sure to send links that do not require a subscription or username and password.
"Looking for a brainy yet breezy novel that addresses gender, race, and class issues with levity and has a happy ending? Try Nell Zink’s Mislaid, her second published novel following her critically well-received debut The Wallcreeper in 2014"--from a book review by David Cooper.
Alexandra Schwartz also reviews Zink's new novel.
Charles Twardy also weighs in on McCullough's new biography.
Mike Lindgren reviews "The Richard Peabody Reader."
NBCC board member and autobiography chair Joanna Scutts reviews Heidi Julavits' scrambled diary "The Folded Clock" for the Washington Post.
Don Waters reviews new story collections by Steven Millhauser, Jonathan Lethem, and Luis Alberto Urrea for the San Francisco Chronicle.
Morris Dickstein reflects on the writing of his memoir.
Janette Currie reviews Matthew Pearl's "The Last Bookaneer."
"Earthly gossip and heavenly voices": three reviews by Diane Scharper.
NBCC board member Eric Liebetrau reviews Craig Lambert's "Shadow Work."
Elizabeth Rosner reviews "The Empire of the Senses," by Alexis Landau.
Karl Wolff reviews "The Strange Case of the Rickety Cossack," by Ian Tattersall at The Driftless Area Review.
American literary critic and classical scholar Daniel Mendelsohn in conversation with acclaimed Australian writer David Malouf.
Chris Barsanti reviews Neal Stephenson's "Sevenes."
Rachel Shteir reviews "The Argonauts" by Maggie Nelson.
About the Critical Mass Blog
Commentary on literary criticism, publishing, writing, and all things NBCC related. It's written by independent members of the NBCC Board of Directors (see list of bloggers below).
Categories & Archives
- 30 Books |
- Adventures in E-Reading |
- Awards |
- 2007 Awards |
- 2008 Awards |
- 2011 Finalists: 30 Books in 30 Days |
- 2012 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days |
- Live announcement of NBCC Awards finalists |
- Critical Notes |
- 30 Books in 30 Days 2014 |
- 2014 Awards |
- 2013 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days 2013 |
- 2013 Awards |
- Podcasts |
- 2009 Awards |
- 2010 Awards |
- 2010 Finalists: 31 Books in 30 Days |
- 2011 Awards |
- Articles |
- Craft |
- Celebrating Philip Roth |
- Conversations with Literary Websites |
- Critical Library |
- Critical Outtakes: Discussions With Writers |
- Criticism |
- In Retrospect |
- Industry News |
- Interviews |
- NBCC 35th Anniversary |
- NBCC Campaign to Save Book Reviews |
- NBCC Featured Review |
- NBCC News |
- NBCC Reads |
- Roundups |
- Q&A |
- Remembrances |
- Small Press Spotlight |
- The Critical I: Conversations With Critics and Review Editors |
- The Next Decade in Book Culture |
- The Rest of the Best |
- Thinking About New Orleans: A Series About New Orleans Writers Post Katrina |
- Videos |
- What I'm Looking Forward to Reading