by Mark Athitakis | May-04-2012
Next week we'll begin posting responses we received to the spring NBCC Reads question: What is your favorite work of literary journalism? To get the ball rolling a little early, we asked Geoff Dyer---winner of the 2011 NBCC award in criticism for Otherwise Known as the Human Condition and author of the new book Zona---to recommend some of his favorites. His picks and comments are below.
David Finkel, The Good Soldiers. From a field packed with excellent books this is perhaps the best to come out of the Iraq war. A great work of reportage and---because Finkel is not trying to create one---a great work of literature too.
Dexter Filkins, The Forever War. A close runner-up.
Rebecca West, A Train of Powder. Maybe not the whole book, but the sections dealing with the Nuremberg Trials and Germany in the aftermath of the Second World War are more than enough.
Hunter S. Thompson, Hell’s Angels. Recently re-read it and it stands up very well.
David Simon and Ed Burns, The Corner. Even better---and more important, historically---than Homicide.
About the Critical Mass Blog
Commentary on literary criticism, publishing, writing, and all things NBCC related. It's written by independent members of the NBCC Board of Directors (see list of bloggers below).
Categories & Archives
- 30 Books |
- Adventures in E-Reading |
- Awards |
- 2007 Awards |
- 2008 Awards |
- 2011 Finalists: 30 Books in 30 Days |
- 2012 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days |
- Live announcement of NBCC Awards finalists |
- Second Thoughts |
- Critical Notes |
- 30 Books in 30 Days 2014 |
- 2014 Awards |
- 2013 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days 2013 |
- 2013 Awards |
- Podcasts |
- 2009 Awards |
- 2010 Awards |
- 2010 Finalists: 31 Books in 30 Days |
- 2011 Awards |
- Articles |
- Craft |
- Celebrating Philip Roth |
- Conversations with Literary Websites |
- Critical Library |
- Critical Outtakes: Discussions With Writers |
- Criticism |
- In Retrospect |
- Industry News |
- Interviews |
- NBCC 35th Anniversary |
- NBCC Campaign to Save Book Reviews |
- NBCC Featured Review |
- NBCC News |
- NBCC Reads |
- Roundups |
- Q&A |
- Remembrances |
- Small Press Spotlight |
- The Critical I: Conversations With Critics and Review Editors |
- The Next Decade in Book Culture |
- The Rest of the Best |
- Thinking About New Orleans: A Series About New Orleans Writers Post Katrina |
- Videos |
- What I'm Looking Forward to Reading