by admin | May-08-2007
News items archived from the previous NBCC Website.
- 2007 NBCC Finalists announced on January 12, 2008: Results available here.
- NBCC Names Winners of its Ivan Sandrof Lifetime Achievement Award and Nona Balakian Citation of Excellence in Reviewing. And the winners are: Sam Anderson, New York Magazine book critic wins the Balakian award, and Emilie Buchwald, writier, editor, and publisher of Milkweed Editions in Minneapolis, wins the Sandrof Lifetime Achievement Award.
- NBCC to Meet in San Francisco: The National Book Circle Board of Directors will be in San Francisco January 10-12 putting on a number of panels, and selecting the finalists for the 2007 NBCC awards. Results will be announced at the annual finalists announcement party on January 12, 2008.
- NBCC Panel: Literary Magazines Go Electronic: Now Where’s the Print Edition in the Library? (cosponsored by Library Journal). Thursday, September 13, 7:00 p.m., Housing Works Bookstore Cafe, 126 Crosby Street, between Houston & Prince: Panelists include: Barbara Hoffert, NBCC board member and Library Journal (moderator); D.T. Max, author and former book columnist, the New York Observer; Brigid Hughes, editor, A Public Space; Karen Gisonny, Helen B. Librarian for Periodicals & Journals, Humanities and Social Sciences Library, New York Public Library; Jeffrey Lependorf, executive director, Council of Literary Magazines and Presses; Scott McLemee, Insiderhighered.com columnist and Nona Balakian Citation winner, Kevin Prufer, award-winning poet, NBCC board member, and editor of Pleiades
- NBCC Panel: Grub Street 2.0: The Future of Book Coverage. Friday, September 14, 4:30 p.m., Housing Works Bookstore Cafe, 126 Crosby Street, between Houston & Prince. Panelists include: John Freeman, NBCC president and critic (moderator), Emily Lazar, producer, The Colbert Report, Melissa Eagan, producer, The Leonard Lopate Show, Erica Wagner, literary editor, Times (UK), Jennifer Szalai, NBCC member and senior editor, Harper’s magazine, Steve Wasserman, incoming literary editor, Truthdig.com, Dwight Garner, senior editor, New York Times Book Review. The format will be a round-table discussion.
- NBCC Panel: What We Talk About When We Talk About Books: Can Criticism and Promotion Coexist Today?Friday, September 14, 5:45 p.m., Housing Works Bookstore Cafe, 126 Crosby Street, between Houston & Prince. Panelists include: John Freeman, NBCC president and critic (moderator), Nan A. Talese, publisher of Nan A. Talese, a Doubleday imprint, Sean McDonald, executive editor, Riverhead, a Penguin Group (USA) imprint, Eric Banks, editor in chief, Bookforum, David Kipen, director, National Reading Initiatives, NEA, Dave Weich, director of development & marketing, Powell’s Bookstore.
- NBCC Panel: Why Book Reviews Matter: How We Decide What to Read (Next). Sunday, September 16, 1:00 p.m., Brooklyn Historical Society, 128 Pierrepont St. Panelists include: Jane Ciabattari, NBCC board member and short story writer (moderator), Kathryn Harrison, critic, memoirist, and novelist, Colin Harrison, novelist and executive editor, Scribner, John Reed, novelist and book editor, the Brooklyn Rail, Harvey Shapiro, poet and former editor, New York Times Book Review.
- NBCC GRANTED 501(c)3 STATUS: Thirty years ago, founding member Nona Balakian wrote to our members with some bad news: “On the continuing legal scene, we failed to get tax exempt status.” Just yesterday we learned this long held dream has come through, which means anything you care to give us as a gift is a tax deduction. Please see our new donation page to learn how and why you should donate to the NBCC, from helping us give cash prizes with our awards to funding projects in community literacy, giving grants to book critics, and more.
- The NBCC has launched a new series on the NBCC blog called, The Critical I, featuring interviews with critics and review editors from publications nationwide in a discussion about criticism: How it’s done, how it’s not done, and much more. The series is available on the NBCC blog.
- The NBCC has launched a new series on its blog titled, Critical Outtakes, where we talk with writers about what they’re reading, what they’re writing, and anything else we think to ask them. Recent outtakes include Eliot Weinberger on eating horse intestines in China, William T. Vollmann on taking drugs for authorial research purposes, Kiran Desai on home and character development, and peeks into the current worlds of Curtis Sittenfeld, Jonathan Lethem, Ian McEwan, Don Delillo, Dave Eggers on Generosity, John Updike, Mary Karr and more. Have a look by visiting Thinking About New Orleans,” where we talk with writers displaced, dislocated and disoriented by Katrina and its aftermath
The National Book Critics Circle has launched Critical Mass, its new (and very active) blog. We encourage all members to visit daily, read the postings, and participate through entries in the comments section of each post.
- All membership dues were due in March. Please ensure that your membership is up to date.
- The 2005 NBCC Award winners were announced in March at the annual awards ceremony in New York.
About the Critical Mass Blog
Commentary on literary criticism, publishing, writing, and all things NBCC related. It's written by independent members of the NBCC Board of Directors (see list of bloggers below).
Categories & Archives
- 30 Books |
- Adventures in E-Reading |
- Awards |
- 2007 Awards |
- 2008 Awards |
- 2011 Finalists: 30 Books in 30 Days |
- 2012 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days |
- Live announcement of NBCC Awards finalists |
- 30 Books 2015 |
- 2015 Awards |
- Second Thoughts |
- Critical Notes |
- 30 Books in 30 Days 2014 |
- 2014 Awards |
- 2013 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days 2013 |
- 2013 Awards |
- Podcasts |
- 2009 Awards |
- 2010 Awards |
- 2010 Finalists: 31 Books in 30 Days |
- 2011 Awards |
- Articles |
- Craft |
- Celebrating Philip Roth |
- Conversations with Literary Websites |
- Critical Library |
- Critical Outtakes: Discussions With Writers |
- Criticism |
- In Retrospect |
- Industry News |
- Interviews |
- NBCC 35th Anniversary |
- NBCC Campaign to Save Book Reviews |
- NBCC Featured Review |
- NBCC News |
- NBCC Reads |
- Roundups |
- Q&A |
- Remembrances |
- Small Press Spotlight |
- The Critical I: Conversations With Critics and Review Editors |
- The Next Decade in Book Culture |
- The Rest of the Best |
- Thinking About New Orleans: A Series About New Orleans Writers Post Katrina |
- Videos |
- What I'm Looking Forward to Reading