by Mark Athitakis | May-21-2012
Mexican novelist Carlos Fuentes, whose work pioneered the “Boom” in Latin American literature in the mid-20th Century, died last week at 83. Marcela Valdes delivers an extended obituary and appreciation; Arts and Letters Daily has a roundup of obituaries from various international publications.
Matt Jakubowski reviews John Kinsella’s story collection In the Shade of the Shady Tree: Stories of Wheatbelt Australia for the National.
Michael Gorra reviews Richard Ford’s novel Canada for the Daily Beast.
Morris Dickstein reviews Emily Bernard's Carl Van Vechten and the Harlem Renaissance for the Times Literary Supplement.
Rayyan Al-Shawaf reviews Esi Edugyan’s novel Half-Blood Blues for Paste.
Cody Corless reviews Eyal Press’ Beautiful Souls: Saying No, Breaking Ranks, and Heeding the Voice of Conscience in Dark Times for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
Jim Carmin reviews Deni Y. Bechard’s memoir Cures for Hunger for the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.
Your reviews and recommendations help seed these roundups: If you’re an NBCC member with a review you’d like considered for inclusion, please email email@example.com. You can also get our attention by using the Twitter hashtag #nbcc, posting on the wall of our Facebook page, or joining our members-only LinkedIn group.
Roundup: Carlos Fuentes, Richard Ford, Emily Bernard, Esi EdugyanMay 21, 2012, length:
About the Critical Mass Blog
Commentary on literary criticism, publishing, writing, and all things NBCC related. It's written by independent members of the NBCC Board of Directors (see list of bloggers below).
Categories & Archives
- 30 Books |
- Adventures in E-Reading |
- Awards |
- 2007 Awards |
- 2008 Awards |
- 2011 Finalists: 30 Books in 30 Days |
- 2012 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days |
- Live announcement of NBCC Awards finalists |
- 2013 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days 2013 |
- 2013 Awards |
- Podcasts |
- 2009 Awards |
- 2010 Awards |
- 2010 Finalists: 31 Books in 30 Days |
- 2011 Awards |
- Articles |
- Craft |
- Celebrating Philip Roth |
- Conversations with Literary Websites |
- Critical Library |
- Critical Outtakes: Discussions With Writers |
- Criticism |
- In Retrospect |
- Industry News |
- Interviews |
- NBCC 35th Anniversary |
- NBCC Campaign to Save Book Reviews |
- NBCC Featured Review |
- NBCC News |
- NBCC Reads |
- Roundups |
- Q&A |
- Remembrances |
- Small Press Spotlight |
- The Critical I: Conversations With Critics and Review Editors |
- The Next Decade in Book Culture |
- The Rest of the Best |
- Thinking About New Orleans: A Series About New Orleans Writers Post Katrina |
- Videos |
- What I'm Looking Forward to Reading