by Mark Athitakis | Dec-17-2012
Chelsea Philpot reviews Lauren Oliver’s young-adult novel The Spindlers for the New York Times.
David Haglund is among the many novelists and critics taking part in the Millions’ annual A Year in Reading series.
Eric Banks reviews Matthew Guerrieri’s The First Four Notes: Beethoven’s Fifth and the Human Imagination for Bookforum.
Gregg Barrios interviews James Franco for the Los Angeles Review of Books.
Jane Ciabattari lists her favorite books of 2012 for the Daily Beast.
Carl Rollyson reviews Paul Johnson’s biography Darwin for the Wall Street Journal.
Rayyan Al-Shawaf reviews Selma Dabbagh’s novel Out of It for the Brooklyn Rail.
Your reviews and recommendations help seed these roundups: If you’re an NBCC member with a review you’d like considered for inclusion, please email email@example.com. You can also get our attention by using the Twitter hashtag #nbcc or posting on the wall of our Facebook page.
About the Critical Mass Blog
Commentary on literary criticism, publishing, writing, and all things NBCC related. It's written by independent members of the NBCC Board of Directors (see list of bloggers below).
Categories & Archives
- 30 Books |
- Adventures in E-Reading |
- Awards |
- 2007 Awards |
- 2008 Awards |
- 2011 Finalists: 30 Books in 30 Days |
- 2012 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days |
- Live announcement of NBCC Awards finalists |
- 2013 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days 2013 |
- 2013 Awards |
- Podcasts |
- 2009 Awards |
- 2010 Awards |
- 2010 Finalists: 31 Books in 30 Days |
- 2011 Awards |
- Articles |
- Craft |
- Celebrating Philip Roth |
- Conversations with Literary Websites |
- Critical Library |
- Critical Outtakes: Discussions With Writers |
- Criticism |
- In Retrospect |
- Industry News |
- Interviews |
- NBCC 35th Anniversary |
- NBCC Campaign to Save Book Reviews |
- NBCC Featured Review |
- NBCC News |
- NBCC Reads |
- Roundups |
- Q&A |
- Remembrances |
- Small Press Spotlight |
- The Critical I: Conversations With Critics and Review Editors |
- The Next Decade in Book Culture |
- The Rest of the Best |
- Thinking About New Orleans: A Series About New Orleans Writers Post Katrina |
- Videos |
- What I'm Looking Forward to Reading