by Mark Athitakis | Oct-15-2012
Daniel Mendelsohn, an NBCC Balakian Citation winner, talks criticism shop with the Millions.
The New York Times’ “Room for Debate” blog hosted a discussion on the question “Do we need professional critics?” Jacob Silverman weighed in on book reviewing, noting that “The smart professional critics, and the editors and managers who hold the purse strings, should realize then that these two worlds, professional and amateur, are not so far apart.”
Matthew Jakubowski profiles independent publisher the Dorothy Project and one of its recent releases, Azareen van der Vliet Oloomi’s novel Fra Keeler, at the Millions.
Michael Antman reviews Tom Wolfe’s novel Back to Blood for PopMatters.
Joseph Peschel reviews Ian Frazier’s novel, The Cursing Mommy’s Book of Days, for the Boston Globe.
Jane Ciabattari reviews Louise Erdrich’s novel The Round House for the Boston Globe.
Julia M. Klein reviews William J. Mann’s biography Hello Gorgeous: Becoming Barbra Streisand for the Jewish Daily Forward.
Rayyan Al-Shawaf reviews David W. Lesch’s Syria: The Fall of the House of Assad for the Christian Science Monitor.
Steven G. Kellman reviews Marco Roth’s memoir, The Scientists, for the Jewish Daily Forward, and Chinua Achebe’s memoir There Was a Country: A Personal History of Biafra for the Barnes & Noble Review.
Your reviews and recommendations help seed these roundups: If you’re an NBCC member with a review you’d like considered for inclusion, please email email@example.com. You can also get our attention by using the Twitter hashtag #nbcc, posting on the wall of our Facebook page, or joining our members-only LinkedIn group.
About the Critical Mass Blog
Commentary on literary criticism, publishing, writing, and all things NBCC related. It's written by independent members of the NBCC Board of Directors (see list of bloggers below).
Categories & Archives
- 30 Books |
- Adventures in E-Reading |
- Awards |
- 2007 Awards |
- 2008 Awards |
- 2011 Finalists: 30 Books in 30 Days |
- 2012 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days |
- Live announcement of NBCC Awards finalists |
- 30 Books 2015 |
- 2015 Awards |
- Second Thoughts |
- Critical Notes |
- 30 Books in 30 Days 2014 |
- 2014 Awards |
- 2013 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days 2013 |
- 2013 Awards |
- Podcasts |
- 2009 Awards |
- 2010 Awards |
- 2010 Finalists: 31 Books in 30 Days |
- 2011 Awards |
- Articles |
- Craft |
- Celebrating Philip Roth |
- Conversations with Literary Websites |
- Critical Library |
- Critical Outtakes: Discussions With Writers |
- Criticism |
- In Retrospect |
- Industry News |
- Interviews |
- NBCC 35th Anniversary |
- NBCC Campaign to Save Book Reviews |
- NBCC Featured Review |
- NBCC News |
- NBCC Reads |
- Roundups |
- Q&A |
- Remembrances |
- Small Press Spotlight |
- The Critical I: Conversations With Critics and Review Editors |
- The Next Decade in Book Culture |
- The Rest of the Best |
- Thinking About New Orleans: A Series About New Orleans Writers Post Katrina |
- Videos |
- What I'm Looking Forward to Reading