by Mark Athitakis | Feb-04-2013
Kyle Minor praises Eula Biss's Notes From No Man's Land, the NBCC 2009 winner in criticism newly released on audiobook, as "the most accomplished book of essays anyone has written or published so far in the 21st century."
Maureen Corrigan considers Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice on its 200th anniversary at NPR.org.
Jane Ciabattari reviews new short-story collections from Jess Walter, Yoko Ogawa, and Jamie Quatro for the Daily Beast.
Craig Seligman reviews Al Gore's The Future at BloombergBusinessweek.
Our "30 Books" series on this year's finalists for our awards kicked off last Friday with Steven G. Kellman's appreciation of Ben Fountain's Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk. We'll have more today. We hope you'll consider attending our February 27 finalists reading and February 28 awards ceremony, and purchasing a ticket to the reception immediately after the awards. If you're a working book critic and not a member, please consider joining; you can also support our work by becoming a Friend of the NBCC.
Your reviews and recommendations help seed these roundups: If you’re an NBCC member with a review you’d like considered for inclusion, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also get our attention by using the Twitter hashtag #nbcc or posting on the wall of our Facebook page.
About the Critical Mass Blog
Commentary on literary criticism, publishing, writing, and all things NBCC related. It's written by independent members of the NBCC Board of Directors (see list of bloggers below).
Categories & Archives
- 30 Books |
- Adventures in E-Reading |
- Awards |
- 2007 Awards |
- 2008 Awards |
- 2011 Finalists: 30 Books in 30 Days |
- 2012 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days |
- Live announcement of NBCC Awards finalists |
- Second Thoughts |
- Critical Notes |
- 30 Books in 30 Days 2014 |
- 2014 Awards |
- 2013 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days 2013 |
- 2013 Awards |
- Podcasts |
- 2009 Awards |
- 2010 Awards |
- 2010 Finalists: 31 Books in 30 Days |
- 2011 Awards |
- Articles |
- Craft |
- Celebrating Philip Roth |
- Conversations with Literary Websites |
- Critical Library |
- Critical Outtakes: Discussions With Writers |
- Criticism |
- In Retrospect |
- Industry News |
- Interviews |
- NBCC 35th Anniversary |
- NBCC Campaign to Save Book Reviews |
- NBCC Featured Review |
- NBCC News |
- NBCC Reads |
- Roundups |
- Q&A |
- Remembrances |
- Small Press Spotlight |
- The Critical I: Conversations With Critics and Review Editors |
- The Next Decade in Book Culture |
- The Rest of the Best |
- Thinking About New Orleans: A Series About New Orleans Writers Post Katrina |
- Videos |
- What I'm Looking Forward to Reading