by Mark Athtitakis | Jan-06-2013
“The first piece I assign my feature journalism classes is something a little more revealing: write three pages confessing your most humiliating secret,” Susan Shapiro wrote in an essay for the New York Times. Shapiro also spoke with the Freelance Strategist about the value of joining a writing organization like the NBCC.
Steve Weinberg reviews Jared Diamond’s The World Until Yesterday: What Can We Learn From Traditional Societies? for the Christian Science Monitor.
Jason Farago reviews Daniel Trilling’s Bloody Nasty People: The Rise of Britain’s Far Right for the New Republic.
Colette Bancroft reviews Jim Harrison’s new collection of novellas, The River Swimmer, for the Tampa Bay Times.
Joanna Scutts reviews Pat Barker’s novel Toby’s Room for the Washington Post.
Heller McAlpin reviews Joe Queenan’s collection of essays on reading, One for the Books, for the Washington Post.
Adam Kirsch reviews Jami Attenberg’s novel The Middlesteins for the New Republic.
Michael Lindgren reviews Benjamin Anastas’ memoir Too Good to Be True for the Washington Post.
Your reviews and recommendations help seed these roundups: If you’re an NBCC member with a review you’d like considered for inclusion, please email email@example.com. You can also get our attention by using the Twitter hashtag #nbcc or posting on the wall of our Facebook page.
About the Critical Mass Blog
Commentary on literary criticism, publishing, writing, and all things NBCC related. It's written by independent members of the NBCC Board of Directors (see list of bloggers below).
Categories & Archives
- 30 Books |
- Adventures in E-Reading |
- Awards |
- 2007 Awards |
- 2008 Awards |
- 2011 Finalists: 30 Books in 30 Days |
- 2012 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days |
- Live announcement of NBCC Awards finalists |
- NBCC Awards 2016 |
- #NBCCLeonard Award |
- 30 Books 2015 |
- 2015 Awards |
- Second Thoughts |
- Critical Notes |
- 30 Books in 30 Days 2014 |
- 2014 Awards |
- 2013 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days 2013 |
- 2013 Awards |
- Podcasts |
- 2009 Awards |
- 2010 Awards |
- 2010 Finalists: 31 Books in 30 Days |
- 2011 Awards |
- Articles |
- Craft |
- Celebrating Philip Roth |
- Conversations with Literary Websites |
- Critical Library |
- Critical Outtakes: Discussions With Writers |
- Criticism |
- In Retrospect |
- Industry News |
- Interviews |
- NBCC 35th Anniversary |
- NBCC Campaign to Save Book Reviews |
- NBCC Featured Review |
- NBCC News |
- NBCC Reads |
- Roundups |
- Q&A |
- Remembrances |
- Small Press Spotlight |
- The Critical I: Conversations With Critics and Review Editors |
- The Next Decade in Book Culture |
- The Rest of the Best |
- Thinking About New Orleans: A Series About New Orleans Writers Post Katrina |
- Videos |
- What I'm Looking Forward to Reading