by Mark Athitakis | Nov-14-2011
Anne Trubek reviews Jonathan Lethem’s essay collection The Ecstasy of Influence for the Cleveland Plain-Dealer.
Lizzie Skurnick is writing a mini-column called “That Should Be a Word” for the New York Times Magazine. This week: “clogin.”
Rebecca Donner reviews Hector Tobar’s novel The Barbarian Nurseries for the New York Times Book Review.
Heller McAlpin reviews Joan Didion’s memoir Blue Nights for the Washington Post.
Tom Swift reviews John Jeremiah Sullivan’s essay collection Pulphead for the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.
Maureen Corrigan reviews Ben Lerner’s novel Leaving the Atocha Station for NPR.org.
Jane Ciabattari interviews Ann Beattie about her new book, Mrs. Nixon: A Novelist Imagines a Life, at the Daily Beast.
George De Stefano reviews Andrea Camilleri’s mystery The Potter’s Field for the New York Journal of Books.
Julia M. Klein reviews Claire Tomalin's biography of Charles Dickens for Obit Magazine.
Carolyn Kellogg reviews Bill Clinton’s Back to Work for the Los Angeles Times.
Your reviews and recommendations help seed these roundups: If you’re an NBCC member with a review you’d like considered for inclusion, please email email@example.com. You can also get our attention by using the Twitter hashtag #nbcc, posting on the wall of our Facebook page, or joining our members-only LinkedIn group.
Roundup: Jonathan Lethem, Hector Tobar, John Jeremiah Sullivan, “clogins,” and moreNovember 14, 2011, length:
About the Critical Mass Blog
Commentary on literary criticism, publishing, writing, and all things NBCC related. It's written by independent members of the NBCC Board of Directors (see list of bloggers below).
Categories & Archives
- 30 Books |
- Adventures in E-Reading |
- Awards |
- 2007 Awards |
- 2008 Awards |
- 2011 Finalists: 30 Books in 30 Days |
- 2012 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days |
- Live announcement of NBCC Awards finalists |
- Podcasts |
- 2009 Awards |
- 2010 Awards |
- 2010 Finalists: 31 Books in 30 Days |
- 2011 Awards |
- Articles |
- Craft |
- Celebrating Philip Roth |
- Conversations with Literary Websites |
- Critical Library |
- Critical Outtakes: Discussions With Writers |
- Criticism |
- In Retrospect |
- Industry News |
- Interviews |
- NBCC 35th Anniversary |
- NBCC Campaign to Save Book Reviews |
- NBCC Featured Review |
- NBCC News |
- NBCC Reads |
- Roundups |
- Q&A |
- Remembrances |
- Small Press Spotlight |
- The Critical I: Conversations With Critics and Review Editors |
- The Next Decade in Book Culture |
- The Rest of the Best |
- Thinking About New Orleans: A Series About New Orleans Writers Post Katrina |
- Videos |
- What I'm Looking Forward to Reading