by Mark Athitakis | Nov-12-2012
Julia M. Klein reviews David Nasaw’s The Patriarch: The Remarkable Life and Turbulent Times of Joseph P. Kennedy for the Boston Globe.
Gina Webb reviews Laird Hunt’s novel Kind One and Janis Owen’s American Ghost for the Atlanta Journal Constitution.
Harvey Freedenberg reviews Alice Munro’s story collection Dear Life for the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.
Joanna Scutts reviews Tom Reiss’ The Black Count: Glory, Revolution, Betrayal, and the Real Count of Monte Cristo for the Washington Post.
Rigoberto Gonzalez reviews Jaime Manrique’s novel Cervantes Street for the El Paso Times.
Carolyn Kellogg interviews Daniel Mendelsohn about his new essay collection, Waiting for the Barbarians, at the Los Angeles Times.
Maureen Corrigan reviews Richard Russo’s memoir Elsewhere for NPR.
Laura Miller reviews Oliver Sacks’ Hallucinations for Salon.
Steve Weinberg reviews Clive Stafford Smith’s The Injustice System: A Murder in Miami and a Trial Gone Wrong for the Atlanta Journal Constitution.
Your reviews and recommendations help seed these roundups: If you’re an NBCC member with a review you’d like considered for inclusion, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also get our attention by using the Twitter hashtag #nbcc, posting on the wall of our Facebook page, or joining our members-only LinkedIn group.
About the Critical Mass Blog
Commentary on literary criticism, publishing, writing, and all things NBCC related. It's written by independent members of the NBCC Board of Directors (see list of bloggers below).
Categories & Archives
- 30 Books |
- Adventures in E-Reading |
- Awards |
- 2007 Awards |
- 2008 Awards |
- 2011 Finalists: 30 Books in 30 Days |
- 2012 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days |
- Live announcement of NBCC Awards finalists |
- 2013 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days 2013 |
- 2013 Awards |
- Podcasts |
- 2009 Awards |
- 2010 Awards |
- 2010 Finalists: 31 Books in 30 Days |
- 2011 Awards |
- Articles |
- Craft |
- Celebrating Philip Roth |
- Conversations with Literary Websites |
- Critical Library |
- Critical Outtakes: Discussions With Writers |
- Criticism |
- In Retrospect |
- Industry News |
- Interviews |
- NBCC 35th Anniversary |
- NBCC Campaign to Save Book Reviews |
- NBCC Featured Review |
- NBCC News |
- NBCC Reads |
- Roundups |
- Q&A |
- Remembrances |
- Small Press Spotlight |
- The Critical I: Conversations With Critics and Review Editors |
- The Next Decade in Book Culture |
- The Rest of the Best |
- Thinking About New Orleans: A Series About New Orleans Writers Post Katrina |
- Videos |
- What I'm Looking Forward to Reading