by Mark Athitakis | Jul-16-2012
“A literary prize is, at best, one way of drawing readers to a book that deserves more serious attention than it might have gotten without a prize.” In a two-part essay on the New Yorker’s Page Turner blog, Michael Cunningham (a 1998 NBCC fiction award finalist for The Hours) discussed his role on last year’s Pulitzer Prize fiction jury; (in)famously, the full Pulitzer board declined to award a prize to any of the jury’s three finalists earlier this year.
Adam Kirsch meets with pioneering critic M.H. Abrams on his 100th birthday for Tablet.
Colette Bancroft reviews a new edition of Ernest Hemingway’s A Farewell to Arms, featuring more than three dozen alternative endings, for the Tampa Bay Times.
Julia M. Klein reviews Barlett & Steele's The Betrayal of the American Dream for the Columbia Journalism Review.
Michael O’Donnell reviews James Mann’s The Obamians for the Washington Monthly.
Carolyn Kellogg reviews Matt Dojny’s novel The Festival of Earthly Delights for the Los Angeles Times.
Ruth Franklin reviews W.G. Sebald’s poetry collection Across the Land and the Water for the New Republic.
….and for even more member news, check out the latest edition of the NBCC Newswire.
Your reviews and recommendations help seed these roundups: If you’re an NBCC member with a review you’d like considered for inclusion, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also get our attention by using the Twitter hashtag #nbcc, posting on the wall of our Facebook page, or joining our members-only LinkedIn group.
About the Critical Mass Blog
Commentary on literary criticism, publishing, writing, and all things NBCC related. It's written by independent members of the NBCC Board of Directors (see list of bloggers below).
Categories & Archives
- 30 Books |
- Adventures in E-Reading |
- Awards |
- 2007 Awards |
- 2008 Awards |
- 2011 Finalists: 30 Books in 30 Days |
- 2012 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days |
- Live announcement of NBCC Awards finalists |
- 2009 Awards |
- 2010 Awards |
- 2010 Finalists: 31 Books in 30 Days |
- 2011 Awards |
- Articles |
- Craft |
- Celebrating Philip Roth |
- Conversations with Literary Websites |
- Critical Library |
- Critical Outtakes: Discussions With Writers |
- Criticism |
- In Retrospect |
- Industry News |
- Interviews |
- NBCC 35th Anniversary |
- NBCC Campaign to Save Book Reviews |
- NBCC Featured Review |
- NBCC News |
- NBCC Reads |
- Roundups |
- Q&A |
- Remembrances |
- Small Press Spotlight |
- The Critical I: Conversations With Critics and Review Editors |
- The Next Decade in Book Culture |
- The Rest of the Best |
- Thinking About New Orleans: A Series About New Orleans Writers Post Katrina |
- Videos |
- What I'm Looking Forward to Reading