by Mark Athitakis (membership) | Nov-28-2011
The year-end best-of lists have started to appear in earnest: The Atlantic’s Benjamin Schwarz picks his five favorites, the Guardian lists its books of the year, Library Journal lists its top ten books, the New York Times lists its 100 notable books, and USA Today lists its best books from independent publishers. (If you need more, the literary and music blog Largehearted Boy is aggregating dozens of best-of lists from a variety of outlets.)
Benjamin Moser reviews Peter Nadas’ novel Parallel Stories for the New York Times Book Review.
Carolyn Kellogg reviews Luis Alberto Urrea’s novel Queen of America for the Los Angeles Times.
Gerald Bartell reviews Sue Grafton’s new mystery, V Is for Vengance, for the Kansas City Star.
Steve Weinberg reviews Charles J. Shields’ biography of Kurt Vonnegut, And So It Goes, for In These Times.
Anne Trubek reviews Claire Tomalin’s biography of Charles Dickens for the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.
Meredith Maran reviews Joyce Carol Oates’ latest collection of short stories, The Corn Maiden and Other Nightmares, for the Boston Globe.
Your reviews and recommendations help seed these roundups: If you’re an NBCC member with a review you’d like considered for inclusion, please email email@example.com. You can also get our attention by using the Twitter hashtag #nbcc, posting on the wall of our Facebook page, or joining our members-only LinkedIn group.
About the Critical Mass Blog
Commentary on literary criticism, publishing, writing, and all things NBCC related. It's written by independent members of the NBCC Board of Directors (see list of bloggers below).
Categories & Archives
- 30 Books |
- Adventures in E-Reading |
- Awards |
- 2007 Awards |
- 2008 Awards |
- 2011 Finalists: 30 Books in 30 Days |
- 2012 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days |
- Live announcement of NBCC Awards finalists |
- NBCC Awards 2016 |
- #NBCCLeonard Award |
- 30 Books 2015 |
- 2015 Awards |
- Second Thoughts |
- Critical Notes |
- 30 Books in 30 Days 2014 |
- 2014 Awards |
- 2013 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days 2013 |
- 2013 Awards |
- Podcasts |
- 2009 Awards |
- 2010 Awards |
- 2010 Finalists: 31 Books in 30 Days |
- 2011 Awards |
- Articles |
- Craft |
- Celebrating Philip Roth |
- Conversations with Literary Websites |
- Critical Library |
- Critical Outtakes: Discussions With Writers |
- Criticism |
- In Retrospect |
- Industry News |
- Interviews |
- NBCC 35th Anniversary |
- NBCC Campaign to Save Book Reviews |
- NBCC Featured Review |
- NBCC News |
- NBCC Reads |
- Roundups |
- Q&A |
- Remembrances |
- Small Press Spotlight |
- The Critical I: Conversations With Critics and Review Editors |
- The Next Decade in Book Culture |
- The Rest of the Best |
- Thinking About New Orleans: A Series About New Orleans Writers Post Katrina |
- Videos |
- What I'm Looking Forward to Reading