by Mark Athitakis (membership) | Feb-20-2012
George de Stefano reviews Hanne Blank’s Straight: The Surprisingly Short History of Heterosexuality for the New York Journal of Books.
Ron Charles reviews Thomas Mallon’s novel Watergate for the Washington Post.
Xujun Eberlein reviews two books on China, Yang Jisheng’s Tombstone and Frank Dikotter’s Mao’s Great Famine, for the Los Angeles Review of Books.
David L. Ulin reviews John D’Agata and Jim Fingal’s The Lifespan of a Fact for the Los Angeles Times.
Philip Belcher reviews Floyd Collins’ What Harvest: Poems on the Seige & Battle of the Alamo for Shenandoah.
Mary Ann Gwinn looks at four NBCC awards finalists in the Seattle Times.
Michael Leong reviews a reissue of Bern Porter’s 1972 collection Found Poems at Hyperallergic.
Rigoberto Gonzalez’s “La Pelona as Birdwoman” was featured on the Academy of American Poets’ Poem-a-Day series.
E.L. Doctorow writes about Sandrof lifetime achievement winner John Leonard in the Nation.
Jay Jennings reviews Jim Yardley’s Brave Dragons: A Chinese Basketball Team, an American Coach, and Two Cultures Clashing for the San Francisco Chronicle.
Jane Ciabattari interviews Richard Mason, author of the novel History of a Pleasure Seeker, for the Daily Beast.
Julia M. Klein reviews Julie Otsuka’s novel The Buddha in the Attic for Columbia Magazine.
Lev Grossman praises two novels, Elizabeth Hand’s Available Dark and Edward St. Aubyn’s At Last, at Time.
Your reviews and recommendations help seed these roundups: If you’re an NBCC member with a review you’d like considered for inclusion, please email email@example.com. You can also get our attention by using the Twitter hashtag #nbcc, posting on the wall of our Facebook page, or joining our members-only LinkedIn group.
About the Critical Mass Blog
Commentary on literary criticism, publishing, writing, and all things NBCC related. It's written by independent members of the NBCC Board of Directors (see list of bloggers below).
Categories & Archives
- 30 Books |
- Adventures in E-Reading |
- Awards |
- 2007 Awards |
- 2008 Awards |
- 2011 Finalists: 30 Books in 30 Days |
- 2012 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days |
- Live announcement of NBCC Awards finalists |
- 2015 Awards |
- Second Thoughts |
- Critical Notes |
- 30 Books in 30 Days 2014 |
- 2014 Awards |
- 2013 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days 2013 |
- 2013 Awards |
- Podcasts |
- 2009 Awards |
- 2010 Awards |
- 2010 Finalists: 31 Books in 30 Days |
- 2011 Awards |
- Articles |
- Craft |
- Celebrating Philip Roth |
- Conversations with Literary Websites |
- Critical Library |
- Critical Outtakes: Discussions With Writers |
- Criticism |
- In Retrospect |
- Industry News |
- Interviews |
- NBCC 35th Anniversary |
- NBCC Campaign to Save Book Reviews |
- NBCC Featured Review |
- NBCC News |
- NBCC Reads |
- Roundups |
- Q&A |
- Remembrances |
- Small Press Spotlight |
- The Critical I: Conversations With Critics and Review Editors |
- The Next Decade in Book Culture |
- The Rest of the Best |
- Thinking About New Orleans: A Series About New Orleans Writers Post Katrina |
- Videos |
- What I'm Looking Forward to Reading