by Mark Athitakis | Nov-19-2012
Last week the National Book Awards were given in fiction to Louise Erdrich for her novel The Round House, in nonfiction to Katherine Boo for Behind the Beautiful Forevers, in poetry to David Ferry for Bewilderment and in young people’s literature for William Alexander’s Goblin Secrets. Barbara Hoffert reports on the event for Library Journal.
Tess Lewis reviews three novels by Swiss author Urs Widmer for the New Criterion.
“If I am ever in the Situation Room/I will be dreaming/Of your wild biographical eyes.” David Biespiel imagines the love poetry of fallen general David Petraeus at the Rumpus.
Julia M. Klein reviews Richard Russo’s memoir, Elsewhere, for the Chicago Tribune.
Steve Weinberg reviews Mark Binelli’s Detroit City Is the Place to Be for the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.
Can creative writing be taught? The Los Angeles Times’s David L. Ulin and Carolyn Kellogg take on the question in a Google hangout.
Laura Miller reviews Lydia Millet’s novel Magnificence for Salon.
Your reviews and recommendations help seed these roundups: If you’re an NBCC member with a review you’d like considered for inclusion, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also get our attention by using the Twitter hashtag #nbcc, posting on the wall of our Facebook page, or joining our members-only LinkedIn group.
About the Critical Mass Blog
Commentary on literary criticism, publishing, writing, and all things NBCC related. It's written by independent members of the NBCC Board of Directors (see list of bloggers below).
Categories & Archives
- 30 Books |
- Adventures in E-Reading |
- Awards |
- 2007 Awards |
- 2008 Awards |
- 2011 Finalists: 30 Books in 30 Days |
- 2012 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days |
- Live announcement of NBCC Awards finalists |
- NBCC Awards 2016 |
- #NBCCLeonard Award |
- 30 Books 2015 |
- 2015 Awards |
- Second Thoughts |
- Critical Notes |
- 30 Books in 30 Days 2014 |
- 2014 Awards |
- 2013 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days 2013 |
- 2013 Awards |
- Podcasts |
- 2009 Awards |
- 2010 Awards |
- 2010 Finalists: 31 Books in 30 Days |
- 2011 Awards |
- Articles |
- Craft |
- Celebrating Philip Roth |
- Conversations with Literary Websites |
- Critical Library |
- Critical Outtakes: Discussions With Writers |
- Criticism |
- In Retrospect |
- Industry News |
- Interviews |
- NBCC 35th Anniversary |
- NBCC Campaign to Save Book Reviews |
- NBCC Featured Review |
- NBCC News |
- NBCC Reads |
- Roundups |
- Q&A |
- Remembrances |
- Small Press Spotlight |
- The Critical I: Conversations With Critics and Review Editors |
- The Next Decade in Book Culture |
- The Rest of the Best |
- Thinking About New Orleans: A Series About New Orleans Writers Post Katrina |
- Videos |
- What I'm Looking Forward to Reading