by Mark Athitakis | Feb-24-2013
Michael Lindgren reviews this year's NBCC finalists in criticism for the Washington Post.
George De Stefano reviews Petra Reski's The Honored Society: A Portrait of Italy's Most Powerful Mafia for the New York Journal of Books
Maureen Corrigan reviews Chris Morgan Jones' thriller The Jackal's Share for NPR.org.
Steven G. Kellman reviews James Lasdun's memoir, Give Me Everything You Have: On Being Stalked, for the Dallas Morning News.
Julia M. Klein reviews Jim Rogers' Street Smarts for USA Today.
Adam Kirsch reviews recent essay collections by John Jeremiah Sullivan, Davy Rothbart, and Sloane Crosley, along with Sheila Heti's novel How Should a Person Be?, for the New Republic.
Carmela Ciuraru reviews Amity Gaige's novel Schroder for USA Today.
Our "30 Books" series on this year's finalists for our awards finishes this week. We hope you'll consider attending our February 27 finalists reading and February 28 awards ceremony, and purchasing a ticket to the reception immediately after the awards. If you're a working book critic and not a member, please consider joining; you can also support our work by becoming a Friend of the NBCC.
Your reviews and recommendations help seed these roundups: If you’re an NBCC member with a review you’d like considered for inclusion, please email email@example.com. You can also get our attention by using the Twitter hashtag #nbcc or posting on the wall of our Facebook page.
About the Critical Mass Blog
Commentary on literary criticism, publishing, writing, and all things NBCC related. It's written by independent members of the NBCC Board of Directors (see list of bloggers below).
Categories & Archives
- 30 Books |
- Adventures in E-Reading |
- Awards |
- 2007 Awards |
- 2008 Awards |
- 2011 Finalists: 30 Books in 30 Days |
- 2012 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days |
- Live announcement of NBCC Awards finalists |
- 2009 Awards |
- 2010 Awards |
- 2010 Finalists: 31 Books in 30 Days |
- 2011 Awards |
- Articles |
- Craft |
- Celebrating Philip Roth |
- Conversations with Literary Websites |
- Critical Library |
- Critical Outtakes: Discussions With Writers |
- Criticism |
- In Retrospect |
- Industry News |
- Interviews |
- NBCC 35th Anniversary |
- NBCC Campaign to Save Book Reviews |
- NBCC Featured Review |
- NBCC News |
- NBCC Reads |
- Roundups |
- Q&A |
- Remembrances |
- Small Press Spotlight |
- The Critical I: Conversations With Critics and Review Editors |
- The Next Decade in Book Culture |
- The Rest of the Best |
- Thinking About New Orleans: A Series About New Orleans Writers Post Katrina |
- Videos |
- What I'm Looking Forward to Reading