by Mark Athitakis | Jan-21-2013
Last week's announcement of the NBCC finalists generated plenty of coverage, from the Los Angeles Times to the Washington Post to the New York Times to the Minnapolis Star-Tribune to the Millions. (All of those articles include links to those sites' reviews or articles on the books and nominees. Seen a good article we missed? Let us know.) In addition, NPR's All Things Considered interviewed Lisa Cohen, biography finalist for All We Know: Three Lives. At Fresh Air, Maureen Corrigan discussed the impact of the work of the Sandrof award winners, feminist scholars Sandra Gilbert and Susan Gubar, while Ron Charles interviewed the two for the Washington Post. This year's Balakian Citation for excellence in book reviewing goes to William Deresiewicz; check out his website for samples of his work.
Meredith Maran reviews Jennifer Haigh's short-story collection, News From Heaven, for the Boston Globe.
Jane Ciabattari interviews Tracy Chevalier about her new novel, The Last Runaway, for the Daily Beast.
Shaun Randol interviews Paul M. Barrett, author of Glock: The Rise of America's Gun, for the Los Angeles Review of Books.
Carl Rollyson's biography of Sylvia Plath, American Isis, is excerpted in the Boston Globe.
Steve Weinberg reviews Nick Turse's book on civilian deaths during the Vietnam War, Kill Anything That Moves, for the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.
Craig Seligman reviews Lawrence Wright's book on Scientology, Going Clear, for BloombergBusinessweek.
Your reviews and recommendations help seed these roundups: If you’re an NBCC member with a review you’d like considered for inclusion, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also get our attention by using the Twitter hashtag #nbcc or posting on the wall of our Facebook page.
About the Critical Mass Blog
Commentary on literary criticism, publishing, writing, and all things NBCC related. It's written by independent members of the NBCC Board of Directors (see list of bloggers below).
Categories & Archives
- 30 Books |
- Adventures in E-Reading |
- Awards |
- 2007 Awards |
- 2008 Awards |
- 2011 Finalists: 30 Books in 30 Days |
- 2012 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days |
- Live announcement of NBCC Awards finalists |
- #NBCCLeonard Award |
- 30 Books 2015 |
- 2015 Awards |
- Second Thoughts |
- Critical Notes |
- 30 Books in 30 Days 2014 |
- 2014 Awards |
- 2013 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days 2013 |
- 2013 Awards |
- Podcasts |
- 2009 Awards |
- 2010 Awards |
- 2010 Finalists: 31 Books in 30 Days |
- 2011 Awards |
- Articles |
- Craft |
- Celebrating Philip Roth |
- Conversations with Literary Websites |
- Critical Library |
- Critical Outtakes: Discussions With Writers |
- Criticism |
- In Retrospect |
- Industry News |
- Interviews |
- NBCC 35th Anniversary |
- NBCC Campaign to Save Book Reviews |
- NBCC Featured Review |
- NBCC News |
- NBCC Reads |
- Roundups |
- Q&A |
- Remembrances |
- Small Press Spotlight |
- The Critical I: Conversations With Critics and Review Editors |
- The Next Decade in Book Culture |
- The Rest of the Best |
- Thinking About New Orleans: A Series About New Orleans Writers Post Katrina |
- Videos |
- What I'm Looking Forward to Reading