by Mark Athitakis | Apr-16-2012
“It’s not a question of liking or disliking him. I’m trying to explain how political power worked in America in the second half of the 20th century, and here’s a guy who understood power and used it in a way that no one ever had.” In advance of the latest volume of his magisterial biography of Lyndon Johnson (two of which have won NBCC awards), Robert Caro discusses his life (and Johnson’s) with the New York Times.
Michael Lindgren reviews short-story collections by Melissa Pritchard, Rajesh Parameswaran, and Etgar Keret in the Washington Post.
Jenny Shank considers a new Pew survey on e-reading habits at PBS’s MediaShift.
David Duhr reviews Joe R. Lansdale’s novel Edge of Dark Water for the Dallas Morning News.
Jane Ciabattari interviews Kathryn Harrison about her new novel, Enchantments, at the Daily Beast.
Roxana Robinson discusses Edith Wharton’s influence on her work at the Millions.
Adam Kirsch reviews the second volume of Susan Sontag’s diaries, As Consciousness Is Harnessed to Flesh: Journals and Notebooks 1963-1980, for Tablet.
Your reviews and recommendations help seed these roundups: If you’re an NBCC member with a review you’d like considered for inclusion, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also get our attention by using the Twitter hashtag #nbcc, posting on the wall of our Facebook page, or joining our members-only LinkedIn group.
Roundup: Robert Caro, E-Reading, Joe R. Lansdale, and MoreApril 16, 2012, length:
About the Critical Mass Blog
Commentary on literary criticism, publishing, writing, and all things NBCC related. It's written by independent members of the NBCC Board of Directors (see list of bloggers below).
Categories & Archives
- 30 Books |
- Adventures in E-Reading |
- Awards |
- 2007 Awards |
- 2008 Awards |
- 2011 Finalists: 30 Books in 30 Days |
- 2012 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days |
- Live announcement of NBCC Awards finalists |
- 2013 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days 2013 |
- 2013 Awards |
- Podcasts |
- 2009 Awards |
- 2010 Awards |
- 2010 Finalists: 31 Books in 30 Days |
- 2011 Awards |
- Articles |
- Craft |
- Celebrating Philip Roth |
- Conversations with Literary Websites |
- Critical Library |
- Critical Outtakes: Discussions With Writers |
- Criticism |
- In Retrospect |
- Industry News |
- Interviews |
- NBCC 35th Anniversary |
- NBCC Campaign to Save Book Reviews |
- NBCC Featured Review |
- NBCC News |
- NBCC Reads |
- Roundups |
- Q&A |
- Remembrances |
- Small Press Spotlight |
- The Critical I: Conversations With Critics and Review Editors |
- The Next Decade in Book Culture |
- The Rest of the Best |
- Thinking About New Orleans: A Series About New Orleans Writers Post Katrina |
- Videos |
- What I'm Looking Forward to Reading