by Mark Athitakis | Oct-22-2012
Tom Wolfe’s new novel about Miami, Back to Blood, is having a tough time with critics: Collette Bancroft in the Tampa Bay Times says it feels “back of the times” and “timid,” and Ron Charles in the Washington Post says it “reads like a gabby encyclopedia of ethnic stereotypes.”
Michelle Baillat-Jones reviews a new translation of Clarice Lispector’s novel Agua Viva at Necessary Fiction.
Adam Kirsch is chronicling his reading a page of Talmud a day at Tablet.
Jane Ciabattari interviews Sherman Alexie about his new collection of short stories, Blasphemy, at the Daily Beast.
Michael Lindgren reviews three memoirs about manliness for the Washington Post: Carlos Andres Gomez’s Man Up: Cracking the Code of Modern Manhood, Charles Rowan Beye’s My Husband and My Wives: A Gay Man’s Odyssey, and Davy Rothbart’s My Heart Is an Idiot.
Your reviews and recommendations help seed these roundups: If you’re an NBCC member with a review you’d like considered for inclusion, please email email@example.com. You can also get our attention by using the Twitter hashtag #nbcc, posting on the wall of our Facebook page, or joining our members-only LinkedIn group.
About the Critical Mass Blog
Commentary on literary criticism, publishing, writing, and all things NBCC related. It's written by independent members of the NBCC Board of Directors (see list of bloggers below).
Categories & Archives
- 30 Books |
- Adventures in E-Reading |
- Awards |
- 2007 Awards |
- 2008 Awards |
- 2011 Finalists: 30 Books in 30 Days |
- 2012 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days |
- Live announcement of NBCC Awards finalists |
- 2009 Awards |
- 2010 Awards |
- 2010 Finalists: 31 Books in 30 Days |
- 2011 Awards |
- Articles |
- Craft |
- Celebrating Philip Roth |
- Conversations with Literary Websites |
- Critical Library |
- Critical Outtakes: Discussions With Writers |
- Criticism |
- In Retrospect |
- Industry News |
- Interviews |
- NBCC 35th Anniversary |
- NBCC Campaign to Save Book Reviews |
- NBCC Featured Review |
- NBCC News |
- NBCC Reads |
- Roundups |
- Q&A |
- Remembrances |
- Small Press Spotlight |
- The Critical I: Conversations With Critics and Review Editors |
- The Next Decade in Book Culture |
- The Rest of the Best |
- Thinking About New Orleans: A Series About New Orleans Writers Post Katrina |
- Videos |
- What I'm Looking Forward to Reading