by Mark Athitakis (membership) | Oct-10-2011
David L. Ulin looks at the poetry of Tomas Transtromer, winner of this year’s Nobel Prize in literature, at the Los Angeles Times.
Scott Esposito, founder of the literary website the Quarterly Conversation (see the Critical Mass Q&A with him), has launched a new series of ebooks dedicated to longform literary criticism. The first entry in the series, to be published October 17, features essays by Esposito and Barrett Hathcock on Nicholson Baker and Javier Marias. Esposito explains more about the project in “Why We Need Long Critical Essays.”
How did Jonathan Franzen, Mary Karr, David Foster Wallace, and Jeffrey Eugenides become America’s literary vanguard? Evan Hughes investigates the matter in New York magazine.
Julia M. Klein reviews two books on the impact of the recession, Don Peck’s Pinched: How the Great Recession Has Narrowed Our Futures and What We Can Do About It and Colby Buzzell’s Lost in America: A Dead-End Journey, for the Columbia Journalism Review.
David Duhr reviews Chuck Klosterman’s novel The Visible Man for the Dallas Morning News.
Craig Morgan Teicher's poem "Money Time" appears in the October 10 edition of the New Yorker.
Rigoberto Gonzalez reviews Justin Torres’ novel We the Animals for the Los Angeles Review of Books.
Maureen Corrigan reviews Laura Lippman’s The Most Dangerous Thing for the Washington Post.
Adam Kirsch reviews Alan Hollinghurst’s novel The Stranger’s Child for the Wall Street Journal.
David Haglund looks into what the bankruptcy filing of the Friendly’s restaurant chain means for Nicholson Baker.
Your reviews and recommendations help seed these roundups: If you’re an NBCC member with a review you’d like considered for inclusion, please email email@example.com. You can also get our attention by using the Twitter hashtag #nbcc, posting on the wall of our Facebook page, or joining our members-only LinkedIn group.
About the Critical Mass Blog
Commentary on literary criticism, publishing, writing, and all things NBCC related. It's written by independent members of the NBCC Board of Directors (see list of bloggers below).
Categories & Archives
- 30 Books |
- Adventures in E-Reading |
- Awards |
- 2007 Awards |
- 2008 Awards |
- 2011 Finalists: 30 Books in 30 Days |
- 2012 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days |
- Live announcement of NBCC Awards finalists |
- 30 Books in 30 Days 2014 |
- 2014 Awards |
- 2013 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days 2013 |
- 2013 Awards |
- Podcasts |
- 2009 Awards |
- 2010 Awards |
- 2010 Finalists: 31 Books in 30 Days |
- 2011 Awards |
- Articles |
- Craft |
- Celebrating Philip Roth |
- Conversations with Literary Websites |
- Critical Library |
- Critical Outtakes: Discussions With Writers |
- Criticism |
- In Retrospect |
- Industry News |
- Interviews |
- NBCC 35th Anniversary |
- NBCC Campaign to Save Book Reviews |
- NBCC Featured Review |
- NBCC News |
- NBCC Reads |
- Roundups |
- Q&A |
- Remembrances |
- Small Press Spotlight |
- The Critical I: Conversations With Critics and Review Editors |
- The Next Decade in Book Culture |
- The Rest of the Best |
- Thinking About New Orleans: A Series About New Orleans Writers Post Katrina |
- Videos |
- What I'm Looking Forward to Reading