by Mark Athitakis | Apr-02-2012
“The truth is, women who write literary fiction frequently find themselves in an unjust world, even as young single women are outearning men in major American cities and higher education in the United States is skewing female,” writes Meg Wolitzer in an essay on “women’s fiction” in the New York Times Book Review.
Scott McLemee criticizes the New York Public Library’s plan to transfer 3 million volumes away from its Manhattan building in Inside Higher Ed.
Michael O’Donnell reviews Dale Carpenter’s Flagrant Conduct: The Story of Lawrence v. Texas, a history of the landmark Supreme Court ruling on gay rights, for the Nation.
Jordan Michael Smith reviews David Koker’s At the Edge of the Abyss: A Concentration Camp Diary 1943-1944, newly translated into English, for Tablet.
Jane Ciabattari reviews Heidi Julavits’ novel The Vanishers for the Boston Globe.
Joseph Peschel reviews Lauren Groff’s novel Arcadia for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
Your reviews and recommendations help seed these roundups: If you’re an NBCC member with a review you’d like considered for inclusion, please email email@example.com. You can also get our attention by using the Twitter hashtag #nbcc, posting on the wall of our Facebook page, or joining our members-only LinkedIn group.
Roundup: Women’s Fiction, Heidi Julavits, and moreApril 02, 2012, length:
About the Critical Mass Blog
Commentary on literary criticism, publishing, writing, and all things NBCC related. It's written by independent members of the NBCC Board of Directors (see list of bloggers below).
Categories & Archives
- 30 Books |
- Adventures in E-Reading |
- Awards |
- 2007 Awards |
- 2008 Awards |
- 2011 Finalists: 30 Books in 30 Days |
- 2012 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days |
- Live announcement of NBCC Awards finalists |
- Podcasts |
- 2009 Awards |
- 2010 Awards |
- 2010 Finalists: 31 Books in 30 Days |
- 2011 Awards |
- Articles |
- Craft |
- Celebrating Philip Roth |
- Conversations with Literary Websites |
- Critical Library |
- Critical Outtakes: Discussions With Writers |
- Criticism |
- In Retrospect |
- Industry News |
- Interviews |
- NBCC 35th Anniversary |
- NBCC Campaign to Save Book Reviews |
- NBCC Featured Review |
- NBCC News |
- NBCC Reads |
- Roundups |
- Q&A |
- Remembrances |
- Small Press Spotlight |
- The Critical I: Conversations With Critics and Review Editors |
- The Next Decade in Book Culture |
- The Rest of the Best |
- Thinking About New Orleans: A Series About New Orleans Writers Post Katrina |
- Videos |
- What I'm Looking Forward to Reading