by Mark Athitakis | Sep-04-2012
We can’t enter the fall without at least two more essays about the role of the critic and the obligation to be unflinchingly honest: Daniel Mendelsohn’s “A Critic’s Manifesto” at the New Yorker’s Page-Turner blog and David L. Ulin’s “For a Critic, Niceness Is Beside the Point,” at the Los Angeles Times.
Parul Sehgal reviews Martin Amis’ novel Lionel Asbo: State of England for NPR.org.
Michelle Bailat-Jones reviews John Colman Wood’s novel The Names of Things for Necessary Fiction.
Michael O’Donnell reviews Joseph Crespino’s Strom Thurmond’s America for the Washington Monthly.
Walton Muyumba reviews Victor LaValle’s novel, The Devil in Silver, for the Dallas Morning News.
Your reviews and recommendations help seed these roundups: If you’re an NBCC member with a review you’d like considered for inclusion, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also get our attention by using the Twitter hashtag #nbcc, posting on the wall of our Facebook page, or joining our members-only LinkedIn group.
About the Critical Mass Blog
Commentary on literary criticism, publishing, writing, and all things NBCC related. It's written by independent members of the NBCC Board of Directors (see list of bloggers below).
Categories & Archives
- 30 Books |
- Adventures in E-Reading |
- Awards |
- 2007 Awards |
- 2008 Awards |
- 2011 Finalists: 30 Books in 30 Days |
- 2012 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days |
- Live announcement of NBCC Awards finalists |
- 2013 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days 2013 |
- 2013 Awards |
- Podcasts |
- 2009 Awards |
- 2010 Awards |
- 2010 Finalists: 31 Books in 30 Days |
- 2011 Awards |
- Articles |
- Craft |
- Celebrating Philip Roth |
- Conversations with Literary Websites |
- Critical Library |
- Critical Outtakes: Discussions With Writers |
- Criticism |
- In Retrospect |
- Industry News |
- Interviews |
- NBCC 35th Anniversary |
- NBCC Campaign to Save Book Reviews |
- NBCC Featured Review |
- NBCC News |
- NBCC Reads |
- Roundups |
- Q&A |
- Remembrances |
- Small Press Spotlight |
- The Critical I: Conversations With Critics and Review Editors |
- The Next Decade in Book Culture |
- The Rest of the Best |
- Thinking About New Orleans: A Series About New Orleans Writers Post Katrina |
- Videos |
- What I'm Looking Forward to Reading