by Jane Ciabattari | Mar-04-2009
This year’s Balakian winner, Ron Charles, handicaps the National Book Critics Circle fiction awards, to be announced next Thursday evening, March 23, at the New School. Meanwhile, finalist M. Glenn Taylor makes news with his second novel.
Author of the Havana Quartet, Leonardo Padura’s Top 10 Cuban Novels.
Steve Paul revels in the writing of the late A.J. Liebling on the Kansas City Star book blog.
NBCC board member Celia McGee on Geoffrey Rush’s coming to Broadway as “the decrepit Energizer Bunny of a royal destined to die by play’s end despite his best efforts not t” in Ionesco’s “Exit the King.”
Los Angeles Times Festival of the Book, with awards, coming up April 24, with NBCC board member David L. Ulin as emcee.
Adam Kirsch on Samuel Johnson, professional writer:“Money made him do it.”
NBCC board member Mary Ann Gwinn asks, “What does the editor of the Washington Post do when he retires?”
NBCC board member Oscar Villalon created this website for Dave Eggers.
Writing in Bookslut, Jacob Silverman finds Whiting Award winner Laleh Khadivi’s first novel, “The Age of Orphans,” by turns lyrical and mature.
NBCC board member Scott McLemee has a fan.
Rayyan Al-Shawaf reviews Marlon James’s “powerful novel,” “The Book of Night Women” for the Miami Herald.
NBCC board member Kevin Prufer has poem #39 on “Starting Today: Poems for the First 100 Days.” And he’ll be reading at The New School on March 10 at 6:30 p.m.
NBCC board member Lizzie Skurnick and incoming NBCC board member John Reed reading March 15 at KGB Bar in NYC at 7 pm.
In Guernica, three poems by Novica Tadic, translated by Charles Simic.
And Baristanet on how Montclair might save poetry…
About the Critical Mass Blog
Commentary on literary criticism, publishing, writing, and all things NBCC related. It's written by independent members of the NBCC Board of Directors (see list of bloggers below).
Categories & Archives
- 30 Books |
- Adventures in E-Reading |
- Awards |
- 2007 Awards |
- 2008 Awards |
- 2011 Finalists: 30 Books in 30 Days |
- 2012 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days |
- Live announcement of NBCC Awards finalists |
- NBCC Awards 2016 |
- #NBCCLeonard Award |
- 30 Books 2015 |
- 2015 Awards |
- Second Thoughts |
- Critical Notes |
- 30 Books in 30 Days 2014 |
- 2014 Awards |
- 2013 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days 2013 |
- 2013 Awards |
- Podcasts |
- 2009 Awards |
- 2010 Awards |
- 2010 Finalists: 31 Books in 30 Days |
- 2011 Awards |
- Articles |
- Craft |
- Celebrating Philip Roth |
- Conversations with Literary Websites |
- Critical Library |
- Critical Outtakes: Discussions With Writers |
- Criticism |
- In Retrospect |
- Industry News |
- Interviews |
- NBCC 35th Anniversary |
- NBCC Campaign to Save Book Reviews |
- NBCC Featured Review |
- NBCC News |
- NBCC Reads |
- Roundups |
- Q&A |
- Remembrances |
- Small Press Spotlight |
- The Critical I: Conversations With Critics and Review Editors |
- The Next Decade in Book Culture |
- The Rest of the Best |
- Thinking About New Orleans: A Series About New Orleans Writers Post Katrina |
- Videos |
- What I'm Looking Forward to Reading