by Mark Athitakis | Feb-11-2013
Katherine A. Powers reviews P.G. Wodehouse: A Life in Letters for the Barnes & Noble Review.
Jim Carmin reviews Karen Russell's short-story collection, Vampires in the Lemon Grove, for the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.
Eileen Weiner reviews Amity Gaige's novel Schroder for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
Julia M. Klein reviews Richard Rashke's Useful Enemies: John Demjanjuk and America’s Open-Door Policy for Nazi War Criminals for the Jewish Daily Forward, and Betsy Prioleau's Swoon: Great Seducers and Why Women Love Them for the Chicago Tribune.
Sarah Courteau reviews George Saunders' short-story collection Tenth of December for the New Republic.
Heller McAlpin reviews Jamaica Kincaid's novel See Now Then for NPR.org.
Rod Davis reviews NBCC fiction finalist Ben Fountain's novel Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk for Plaza de Armas.
Matthew Jakubowski reviews Mo Yan's novel POW! for the National.
Our "30 Books" series on this year's finalists for our awards continues this week: Take a look at our previous entries on books by Laurent Binet, Reyna Grande, Steve Coll, and more. We hope you'll consider attending our February 27 finalists reading and February 28 awards ceremony, and purchasing a ticket to the reception immediately after the awards. If you're a working book critic and not a member, please consider joining; you can also support our work by becoming a Friend of the NBCC.
Your reviews and recommendations help seed these roundups: If you’re an NBCC member with a review you’d like considered for inclusion, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also get our attention by using the Twitter hashtag #nbcc or posting on the wall of our Facebook page.
About the Critical Mass Blog
Commentary on literary criticism, publishing, writing, and all things NBCC related. It's written by independent members of the NBCC Board of Directors (see list of bloggers below).
Categories & Archives
- 30 Books |
- Adventures in E-Reading |
- Awards |
- 2007 Awards |
- 2008 Awards |
- 2011 Finalists: 30 Books in 30 Days |
- 2012 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days |
- Live announcement of NBCC Awards finalists |
- Critical Notes |
- 30 Books in 30 Days 2014 |
- 2014 Awards |
- 2013 Finalists Interviewed at New School |
- 30 Books in 30 Days 2013 |
- 2013 Awards |
- Podcasts |
- 2009 Awards |
- 2010 Awards |
- 2010 Finalists: 31 Books in 30 Days |
- 2011 Awards |
- Articles |
- Craft |
- Celebrating Philip Roth |
- Conversations with Literary Websites |
- Critical Library |
- Critical Outtakes: Discussions With Writers |
- Criticism |
- In Retrospect |
- Industry News |
- Interviews |
- NBCC 35th Anniversary |
- NBCC Campaign to Save Book Reviews |
- NBCC Featured Review |
- NBCC News |
- NBCC Reads |
- Roundups |
- Q&A |
- Remembrances |
- Small Press Spotlight |
- The Critical I: Conversations With Critics and Review Editors |
- The Next Decade in Book Culture |
- The Rest of the Best |
- Thinking About New Orleans: A Series About New Orleans Writers Post Katrina |
- Videos |
- What I'm Looking Forward to Reading